Do you ever find yourself talking to your friends/co-workers/family members about how great Bikram yoga makes you feel, and you are stopped by “…are you nuts? 104 degrees in the summer?!”
We know, during the summer months its hardest to show up to class. Especially after a humid day outside.
But here’s something to keep you going: sweating your butt off for 90 minutes, in the controlled temperature of the Bikram yoga room, actually helps your body acclimate to the summer heat, works your cardiovascular system work more efficiently – which helps you stay cooler all summer long.
Pretty cool, huh?
There are a whole lot of rewards waiting for you in the hot yoga room, and these summer yoga tips will help you stay motivated even (and especially) in a heat wave:
- Stay hydrated. And that means water plus electrolytes (bananas and blueberries are a delicious way to get some). Don’t sweat on an empty system!
- Peep the schedule for Park or South slope in advance: Check the website for class listings and take class with your favorite teachers
- Add alerts to your smartphone phone calendar
- Practice with a buddy – having an accountability partner to is the best motivation there is. Plan on practicing together, or set goals together and encourage their completion. Sometimes just meeting someone at class is the perfect nudge you need.
- Set an example – all July and August at BYPS teenagers practice for FREE, so bring along your teen and inspire each other.
- Celebrate your successes – just showing up to class is 90% of the work. So when you step into the room, give yourself a wink and a smile. You’re doing great work (and don’t you look cute in that top!?)